Saturday, February 18, 2012

Oatmeal

I hate oatmeal. Always have. Nope, that's a lie. One time I had it with gobs of brown sugar, heavy cream and lovely, plump berries and it wasn't so bad. :) In general though, I find it slimy and gross and not at all appetizing. People who lose weight are constantly swearing by it. They call it the breakfast of champions and applaud the way it keeps you full for long periods of time and lowers cholesterol... blah, blah, blah. It's gross. Period.

But...I wanted to try to find a way to incorporate it into my diet these days. Trying as I am to be healthy and whatnot. Honestly, I didn't hold out much hope. However, while trying to find a palatable oatmeal that I could manage to choke down...I found the one. Moreover, I found a way I actually like it.

Three Sisters brand multigrain cereal, at Whole Foods. I like the Brown Sugar and Maple one, but pick whichever. It has a far better texture than Quaker in my opinion and is made with oats, brown rice, flaxseed, barley, and quinoa for a tiny bit of extra protein and cholesterol fighting oomph. It doesn't hurt that the packaging is way tiny (pantry space is at a premium in my house) and you can measure the water you need IN the pouch, which makes it handy for work. I top it with a splash of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, fresh berries and lots of them, for a FOUR point breakfast or snack that is tasty, sweet and filling. Try it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment