Saturday, February 18, 2012

Being Prepared

One of the easiest ways to trip up yourself when on a diet is to not be prepared. Running late for work and haven't made a lunch yet, driving kids around town endlessly, forgetting to eat breakfast at the beginning of your day...can lead you to feeling desperately hungry and heading to fast food or God forbid, the cafeteria. I know. I do it. We all do. Sometimes there's no way around it and you just have to make the best choices you can in the moment. But I will tell you that a grilled chicken sandwich from Wendy's, a diet coke and a small fry is 17 points. That day sucked. I learned a valuable lesson later than evening as I was starving in my bed with no points left... Be prepared.

I stash food everywhere now. I keep an apple and a Larabar or an Almond-Coconut Kind bar on my person at all times. Freeze-dried fruit and microwave popcorn in my work bag. Set yourself up for success.

I also just started making meals ahead of time and this, my friends, is genius. I went to Cash and Carry and bought a hundred plastic containers. You can use whatever freezable receptacle you like. When I make a dinner that I like and that freezes well, I make a double batch to save time! I measure out my serving and put it in the container, label it with point value and freeze it. No excuses. Grab it on my way to work with a piece of fruit and I'm set. No preservatives, no wasted leftovers molding in my fridge and I'm saving gobs of money over frozen diet meals (usually not good or filling) or the cafeteria salad bar. Yay!!!

I was even thinking of having a frozen meal exchange if anyone is interested in doing that to give us some variety. Let me know!

1 comment: